The Diesel Technology Program provides training in engine design and overhaul, electrical systems, air brake systems, pneumatic and hydraulic systems, diesel fuel and control systems, transmissions and axles, and metals and welding.
Students have the option of an Associate of Applied Science Degree or certificates (Basic Engine & Electrical, Powertrain, Fuel Systems, and Diesel Technology). The Associate of Applied Science Degree is a 2 year program providing fundamental knowledge, skills, and training needed for entry-level employment or career advancement as a diesel technician.
DSLT 1005 Safety is a prerequisite for all Diesel Technology classes, except night classes.
- Demonstrate knowledge of hazards and related safety practices associated with diesel mechanics.
- Perform tasks related to entry-level employment in the diesel technology field.
- Demonstrate an understanding of personal and work characteristics that contribute to an effective job performance.
- Use communication skills appropriate to diesel mechanics.
- Apply the theory of diesel mechanics to specific jobs using critical thinking/reasoning and the ability to work independently.
- Use mathematical data and reasoning skills in relation to diesel mechanics.
A variety of employment opportunities include diesel service departments, independent repair shops, factory representative or private ownership of a repair business. Industries employing diesel technicians include, but are not limited to, railroad, trucking, agriculture, and lumber. Government agencies and the military also offer employment opportunities.
Recommended General Education Electives
|BSAD 1100||Personal Finance||3.0|
|ENGL 1040||Basic Technical Communications||3.0|
|SPCH 1090||Fund of Human Communication||3.0|
|Appropriate Business or Computer Course|
|Appropriate Math Course|
For more information about our graduation rates, the median debt of students who have completed the program, and other important information, please visit out website at www.mpcc.edu/financial-services/GainfulEmployment/GedDieselTechDiploma.aspx